Casualty thanks Exmouth RNLI Crew volunteers after Easter rescue

Photos: (credit Exmouth RNLI)

PR280619 Casualty, Janet Dawkins hands over a cheque to Exmouth lifeboat volunteers who responded to the call for help.

(L to R: Crew volunteers, Charlie Allen and Harry Griffin; Janet Dawkins and Nick Clayton; Helm, Henry Mock and Deputy Launching Authority, Rachel Hughes)

On 26 June, a Bristol couple returned to the south Devon coast to thank the volunteer team who responded to their call for help on 20 April.

Janet Dawkins was sitting awkwardly on a rock at Dawlish Warren when she suffered a dislocated hip and experienced excruciating pain. An off-duty Paramedic on-scene advised urgent need of Entonox. The 999 call initiated both Coastguard Rescue 187 helicopter from St Athan and Exmouth D class inshore lifeboat George Bearman II.

Helm, Henry Mock and Crew volunteers, Harry Griffin and Charlie Allen were on scene within eight minutes with the Entonox from the Shannon class lifeboat R and J Welburn, in order to provide pain-relief immediately. The team from the Coastguard helicopter administered morphine and air-lifted Janet to Derriford hospital. Teignmouth Coastguard Rescue Team assisted by clearing the beach and together with the lifeboat crew, carried Janet to the helicopter by stretcher.

Janet’s partner, Nick Clayton contacted Exmouth lifeboat station to arrange thanking volunteers in person and for Janet to hand over a donation, personally. Nick said:

We are still amazed by what we saw on Easter Saturday: three emergency teams working together seamlessly to help Janet get the care she needed. It’s not until you really need help that you realise how incredible these services are. Janet wanted to show her appreciation and talk to the volunteers who all played a part in the rescue. I was rescued in 1993 by Exmouth lifeboat Brede class Caroline Finch. On our visit, I discovered that Helm, Henry Mock’s father, Tim was on that service, so I could say thank you again!

Janet and I would like to say a big thank you to all involved and to the NHS at Derriford for literally putting Janet back on her feet.’