The nation’s finest clinicians, aviators and fundraisers are celebrated at the Air Ambulance Awards of Excellence
Almost 300 guests celebrated the best and brightest from the air ambulance community last night at the national Air Ambulance Awards of Excellence 2017.
Awards hosts, BBC News reporter and presenter Sophie Long and Helicopter Heroes presenter Rav Wilding handed out 12 Awards to outstanding individuals and teams, whose stories were inspirational, astounding and humbling. The awards, which are independently judged, went to pilots, paramedics, doctors, fundraisers and volunteers who collected their trophies at a ceremony held at The Chelsea Harbour Hotel last night.
An enthusiastic audience listened to the remarkable stories of each shortlisted nominee, all of whom demonstrated excellence and commitment well above and beyond the call of duty.
Chair of the Judging Panel, Jim Fitzpatrick MP, said: “Every year at these Awards, we hear about ordinary people doing simply extraordinary things and this year was no exception. Whether it’s pensioners raising hundreds of thousands of pounds, clinicians performing major surgery out in the field or pilots showing nerves of steel to land in difficult conditions, it’s clear that those working in the air ambulance sector are among the most courageous, talented and determined people around. I’d like to offer my most sincere congratulations to all the nominees but especially the winners.”
Below is a list of all the winners:
Air Ambulance Campaign Award
WINNER: Midlands Air Ambulance
Sponsor: Lottery Fundraising Services
Charity Staff Member of the Year
WINNER: Frank Chege, London’s Air Ambulance
Charity Volunteer of the Year
WINNER: Jill & Don McLaren, Lincs & Notts Air Ambulance
Sponsor: Tower Lotteries
Air Ambulance Doctor of the Year
WINNER: Dr Syed Masud, Thames Valley Air Ambulance
Sponsor: Leonardo Helicopters
Innovation of the Year Award
WINNER: Essex & Herts Air Ambulance
Sponsor: Sloane Helicopters
Lifetime Achievement Award
WINNER: Christine Margetts
Sponsor: Specialist Aviation Services
Air Ambulance Paramedic of the Year
WINNER: Adam Carr, Essex & Herts Air Ambulance
Sponsor: BMW Government and Authorities Division
Air Ambulance Pilot of the Year
WINNER: Neil Airey, North West Air Ambulance
Sponsor: Safran UK
Special Incident Award
WINNER: Wales Air Ambulance
Sponsor: Airbus Helicopters
Air Operations Support Staff Member of the Year
WINNER: John Power, London’s Air Ambulance
Outstanding Young Person Award
WINNER: Josh Bright, Magpas
Sponsor: Babcock MCS Onshore
AAA Chairman’s Award
WINNER: Caroline Creer
Photo: All the winners with Sophie Long and Rav Wilding
Notes to Editors:
1. Further details about the Air Ambulance Awards of Excellence can be found at www.aoaa.org.uk/aaae.
2. The event is a not for-profit exercise promoting best practice and excellence in the emergency pre-hospital sector.
3. In the UK there are 39 operational Helicopter Emergency Medical Services Helicopters operated by 21 charities in close support of local ambulance services.
4. Media are advised to contact individual organisations for further details. Contact details can be obtained from Andrew Scriven on firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel: 01564 339959.
5. The Judges were:
1. Chair of Judges: Jim Fitzpatrick, MP for Poplar and Limehouse, and Chairman of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Air Ambulances.
2. Mark Docherty, Director of Nursing, Quality and Clinical Commissioning at West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust.
3. Steve Irving, Executive Officer, Association of Ambulance Chief Executives.
4. Tim Fauchon, CEO of the British Helicopter Association.
5. Hanna Sebright, AAA Chair.
6. Debra Allcock Tyler, Chief Executive, Directory of Social Change
6. The Awards are operated by the Association of Air Ambulances and are open to all air ambulance and ambulance services in the UK.