Image: Sophie and Rav – Air Ambulance Awards of Excellence 2016
NEW AWARD, NEW JUDGE, NEW VENUE…SAME POPULAR HOSTS
The Association of Air Ambulances has announced that BBC News journalist Sophie Long and Helicopter Heroes presenter Rav Wilding will once again host this year’s Air Ambulance Awards of Excellence on 13 November in London.
The duo have been a real hit with those attending the Awards ceremony for the last two years, when the Awards have been sold out. This year, the Awards move to a larger venue – the Millennium Chelsea Harbour Hotel – where significantly more guests can enjoy celebrating the best of the best. The Awards will take place on Monday 13 November 2017.
With just weeks until the 1 September Awards deadline, the Association of Air Ambulances is calling for organisations across the UK to submit entries to these prestigious, independent awards, which honour the exceptional contributions of staff and volunteers in the UK air ambulance community. This year sees the addition of a new award: Air Operations Support Staff Member of the Year. This category is expected to see nominations of dispatchers, engineers, back office staff and other non-flying personnel whose roles are not covered by other Award categories.
The Awards also welcome a new judge to the judging panel this year. Adding further knowledge and experience to the team is Debra Allcock-Tyler, Chief Executive of the Directory of Social Change. Debra brings huge charitable sector experience to the role.
The Air Ambulance Awards of Excellence are now in their sixth year and have become a popular and prestigious event for the pre-hospital care sector. Last year saw over 275 people watch Sophie and Rav hand over Awards to delighted recipients, all of whom had a remarkable story to tell.
Nominations are sought in the following categories:
• Air Ambulance Campaign of the Year Award
• Air Ambulance Doctor of the Year
• Air Ambulance Innovation of the Year Award
• Air Ambulance Paramedic of the Year
• Air Ambulance Pilot of the Year
• Air Operations Support Staff Member of the Year
• Charity Staff Member of the Year
• Charity Volunteer of the Year Award
• Lifetime Achievement Award
• Outstanding Young Person Award
• Special Incident Award
The closing date for nominations is 1 September 2017. The Awards are both straightforward and free to enter in order to encourage all organisations in the sector to nominate their star individuals or teams. For more information, to book tickets or to make a nomination, go to http://www. aoaa.co.uk/aaae/
1. Further details about the Air Ambulance Awards of Excellence can be found at www.aoaa.org.uk/aaae.
2. The event is a not for-profit exercise promoting best practice and excellence in the emergency pre-hospital sector.
3. In the UK there are 36 operational Helicopter Emergency Medical Services Helicopters operated by 20 charities in close support of local ambulance services.
4. Media are advised to contact individual organisations for further details. Contact details can be obtained from Andrew Scriven on email@example.com or Tel: 01564 339959.
5. The Awards are operated by the Association of Air Ambulances and are open to all air ambulance operations in the UK.
6. The Awards judges are: Jim Fitzpatrick, MP for Poplar and Limehouse; Debra Allcock Tyler, Chief Executive, Directory of Social Change; Mark Docherty, Director, West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust; Tim Fauchon, CEO, British Helicopter Association; Steve Irving, Executive Officer, Association of Ambulance Chief Executives; Hanna Sebright, Chair of Association of Air Ambulances.